MetroWest Opera 8th Annual Vocal Competition for Emerging Artists
LIVE AUDITION APPLICATION DEADLINE THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 15th, 2018 @ 11:59 PM
VIDEO SUBMISSION APPLICATION DEADLINE WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 7th, 2018 @ 11:59 PM
Guaranteed to be heard, guaranteed individualized written feedback for each participant
* Please read through everything below before filling out the application. Applications are due Thursday, February 15th, 2018 at 11:59 PM. Please note that all application transactions are final and non-refundable *
Prizes – Vocal Competition for Emerging Artists
- First Prize: $600 and free educational programming for an entire year
- Second Prize: $400
- Third Prize $300
- Encouragement Award $200
Emerging Artists: Singers aged 18 and older (at the time of the Final Round, Saturday, March 3rd 2018)
*NEW* ONLINE VIDEO SUBMISSIONS
For the FIRST TIME EVER we are offering ONLINE VIDEO SUBMISSIONS for those singers out of state and who cannot attend the Preliminary Round dates and times.
- WE NOW HAVE TWO OPTIONS FOR APPLYING: 1) Opting in to compete live in the Final Round and 2) Choosing to only compete in Preliminary Round but still receive written feedback, opting out of the Final Round, in particular due to schedule conflicts and the burden of travel expenses.
- Applications consisting of online video submissions must be received by Wednesday, February 7th 2018 at 11:59 PM, so as to give applicants time to book travel for the Final Round Concert, if they opt to compete in the Final Round.
- Once your video is uploaded to your YouTube channel please copy and paste the link into the application itself in the appropriate field. You may have one video link with both contrasting arias OR you can paste two separate YouTube links. Whatever is easiest for you.
- If you are unfamiliar with YouTube and do not yet have a channel, you can watch this quick video tutorial to help you set up your account and upload your competition videos https://www.youtube.com
- Two to four of the online video submissions will be chosen for the Final Round on Saturday, March 3rd.
- *NOTE* If you are able to attend the Preliminary Round in person, we highly recommend it, so as to give you the best experience and benefit from this audition process.
TIMETABLE – PRELIMINARY ROUND:
PRELIMINARY ROUND (IN-PERSON AUDITION) – Friday, March 2nd & Saturday March 3rd
The Preliminary Round will consist of a live audition in front of three to four judges, who will provide written feedback for each singer upon request. (Each year we get around 100 to 125 applicants, and every single one is offered an audition).
Emerging Artists: Be prepared to offer 4 arias in at least 3 languages, one of which must be Italian.
3:00 PM to 10:00 PM – PRELIMS
Old West Church, 131 Cambridge Street, Boston, MA 02114
Old West Church, 131 Cambridge Street, Boston, MA 02114
2-4 online video submission participants will be chosen for the Final Round and will be notified by Thursday, February 15th so as to book travel.
TIMETABLE – FINAL ROUND:
10-12 singers will be selected as finalists for the Final Round Concert. The final round will be presented to the public as a concert at Old West Church in Boston, (131 Cambridge Street, Boston, MA), on Saturday March 3rd from 7:00PM to 9:30 PM.
Finalists should arrive at least 30 minutes before the concert, and should plan to wear formal attire (gowns and tuxedos). Be prepared to offer the same repertoire requirements as the Preliminary Round. Pianist: TBD.
7:00 PM to 9:30 PM – Emerging Artists Final Round Concert
Old West Church in Boston
131 Cambridge Street, Boston, MA 02114
All applications must be filled out directly on the MetroWest Opera website. Click here for the MetroWest Opera Vocal Competition for Emerging Artists Application. Please read through these instructions carefully:
- Your application is not complete until you have submitted the nonrefundable application fee of $45.
- In order to submit the application via the MetroWest Opera website, you must first make the non-refundable $45 application payment by clicking on the PayPal icon directly above the application. Be sure to follow the instructions to make the payment, AND then also be sure to enter the PayPal Transaction ID # in the denoted field of the application itself–this is a 16 digit to 18 digit number also called the reference number.
- The completed application and $45 payment are due no later than February 15th, 2018 (at 11:59PM).
- When selected for the preliminary round, please remember to bring an 8×10 headshot with you to your audition. If you have any issue with the application process please email email@example.com.
ABOUT METROWEST OPERA
MetroWest Opera provides quality and professional performance opportunities for emerging young opera singers, while enriching the arts community in the Greater Boston area. Since 2008, MetroWest Opera has delighted audiences with operas such as Massenet’s Cendrillon, Mozart’s Magic Flute and Don Giovanni, Bizet’s Carmen, Humperdinck’s Hansel and Gretel and Bernstein’s Trouble in Tahiti. More recently MetroWest Opera has presented Mark Adamo’s Little Women and the regional premiere of the original all-female version of Puccini’s La Bohéme, entitled La Femme Bohéme. MetroWest Opera is always seeking new ways to expand upon our mission, and thus the Annual Vocal Competition was born eight years ago!
MWO wants to offer a special thanks to all of our 2017 Vocal Competition Participants and Winners!
MetroWest Opera 7th Annual Vocal Competition – Click here to view the winners!